Family

Family

Thursday, April 25, 2013

U is for unloved and unwanted

 A lot of foster kids, especially the older ones how understand whats going on feel like they're unworthy of love. Children between the ages of 1-5 make up 54.3% of adoptions while over the age of 11 only makes up 17.2% of adoptions. You can see the Statisics here. The most recent survey I could find says that there has been a decline of children waiting to be adopted, down to 61,000 that seems like way too many for me. I can not imagine what it would be like at 10 to not have a permanent home and to know the chance of me being adopted is extremely slim and in fact defies the odds (slightly less though since I'm female). Now imagine at 10 having to decide if you want to be placed without your brother, your only family left because he's 16 and no one will adopt you both.

 People wonder why children who age out of the foster system are so much more likely to do drugs or end up in jail. I think its because they feel worthless, no one wanted them and of course they have no support system when they're out. When I moved out of my parents house I had them to call and rely on if something happened. I can't imagine basically just being sent out with a trash bag full of my belongings.

 My heart hurts for the waiting children. We are even falling into the category of people that adopt children under 5. We are for birth order purposes and because she was the one they brought. We were open to a child up to 7 but it just didn't happen. If you're thinking about adoption consider an older child.

The Adoption Exchange
Adopt Us Kids
A family for Every Child
Heart Gallery 

1 comment:

  1. Your post gives me hope that there are still good people out there.

    ReplyDelete