Family

Family

Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for Early Intervention Services

 One nice thing about having foster children they get Early Intervention Services, here in Nevada they go by the acronym NEIS. Of course Moose gets NEIS as well for his speech. So far I have loved all our therapists except one and it wasn't that I disliked her I just didn't love her. Probably because Princess HATED her which led the speech lady to tell me that she thought Princess was possibly retarded and preforming at a 6-12 month level cognitively. She also got Princess signed up for a developmental therapist as well who Princess decided was ok so she talked up a storm. So the tally is:
Moose- Speech Pathologist (well not any more he just turned 3 and aged out since he'll go to preschool)
Giggles- Speech Path, Occupational Therapist, and Developmental Therapist
Princess- Speech Path and Developmental Therapist

 After seeing all the work they do I think I'd like to be an occupational therapist when I grow up, seems like their job consists mainly of watching kids play and helping you learn new ways of dealing with issues. Ours is particularly fun and the kids adore her and get excited when she walks in the door. I know she has a PhD and has tons of training but she looks like she has the easiest job. All three kids have improved dramatically with help from our NEIS team. Its really a good idea if you have concerns about your children to seek out professionals  I believe every state has a similar program. Most of the time they're free or they use your insurance.

4 comments:

  1. I love that they are making such positive and fun progress gaining skills confidence and enjoyable playtime all at the same time.
    It can be tough for all kids to get what they need when there are many in a household, and having some outside help would put a special eye on every child to bring them all along in their day to day environment. Cool!
    Enjoy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giggles has gone from being nonverbal to nonstop talking. Princess from moderately delayed cognitively and physically to a bit above where she needs to be. And Moose is now considered where he's supposed to be language wise other than a few letters he still doesn't pronounce right.

      Delete
  2. Love your blog. I got four boys...need I say more? Lol. Keep up the great work on the A to Z for I know its not easy on some days because I'm in on it too. You might want to the A to Z Challenge on the side of your page so people can see you are.

    http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/to-z-badges-and-banners.html

    It will show you what to do on its side. lol. Happy blogging

    http://jeanettesandersen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat, I'm still trying to figure out all the neat banners and such for the blog. Thank you

      Delete