Family

Family

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The waiting...

We haven't really ever had to wait too long in between placements. We've never been completely empty for more than a month and that was only because we had a 2 and 1/2 vacation and then another vacation withing 5 day's of getting home. The still called me on the day before my last day of vacation asking if I was willing to take a placement. I said yes and came home early even though they didn't get there till the next day. 

So anyways when a placement leaves I deep clean the room and bathroom for them. I don't know why but I feel they should see a spotless house the first time they see it. Goodness knows its not normally clean. Its really similar to nesting when you're pregnant. I spend the whole gap cleaning and then when the house is clean I move onto organizing closets and the garage. Drives Hubby crazy. 

 Today to keep myself from some more crazy cleaning for a few minutes I'll tell you a little bit about my favorite placement. Yes I realize I shouldn't have favorites but shhh don't tell the others. We had an emergency call at about 4 am for a 4 month old little girl. Hubby answered and said yes. Didn't hand me the phone so I could go through my list of questions. Didn't ask any questions. Just said yes. So of course I was asking him these questions once he hung up 'Does she need any clothes?' 'What kind of formula does she drink?' 'Diaper size?' 'Length of stay?' Nope still nothing. I really haven't ever been so annoyed with him, how could he not ask questions? A couple hours later the social worker arrived at our house with the most perfect little girl. No blankets or matching clothes, apparently she just grabbed the items off the top of the laundry basket. Goal was reunification with dad and it was pretty stupid the reason she was taken (if I do say so myself.) Dad was also the main caregiver. We'll call her SweetiePie because that's what she was. We had her for 20 days and she was the easiest happiest baby. SweetiePie came with us to a wedding and everyone was telling me how cute my daughter was and how she looked just like me. No, I didn't correct them because I didn't want to go into explanations. When her dad came to pick her up I was sad but thrilled, he obviously took such good care of her and her whole little face lit up when she saw him. While we would have loved to keep her forever seeing her go home with her loving father was the best thing for her and it made me so happy.

A little update on our adoption search (not that you know me or care about me). About 3 months ago we inquired on to little girls in another state. CUTEST girls ever. 6 and 5, the 6 year old looks like a girl version of Hubby/Legoman minus some freckles and the 5 year old looks like my cousin. I fell in love with their picture, the information that was provided about them was minimal but I saw nothing that stood out as a red flag (ie Not good with pets, shouldn't be placed with younger children, learning to control emotions) so I sent in our homestudy. The state that they are in isn't allowed to tell you any information about the children unless you've been chosen at matching. Matching date happened and they were matched, with someone else. Couple weeks later I noticed they were back up and immediately called their social worker (yes she made the mistake of giving me her office phone number.) Nope it wasn't a mistake the family they were matched with didn't work out. She said she'd already resubmitted out home study, were we ok with that? Of course we were! I've been thinking about these girls for the past month almost! I also sent in a letter giving more details of what we've dealt with in foster care, what we're willing to work with and what we can't handle. Then I never heard anything back. So finally yesterday I called the social worker up again, were they already matched and we just missed the email or something? Oh nope, apparently she'd been meaning to call us but she's been so busy. Matching hasn't happened yet and no being in another state isn't going to hinder you at all. We care more about the right family. Matching will happen at the end of August. She sounded very positive and encouraging, Hubby says I'm over analyzing. So hopefully we hear good news at the end of August. More waiting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment